During the 60’s Ray Dorey, Dave Taylor, Stuart Edwards and George Weyman were not unlike many other young men of their age in that they were all drawn like moths to a flame to the emerging musical influences of that Decade.

They all at some time during the early 60’s found themselves at the Adelphi in Slough, albeit in different seats and without the others’ knowledge. Their paths wouldn’t cross until the mid 60’s.
It was at the Adelphi that they would listen to and watch the big names from across the Atlantic. Names such as Little Richard, Gene Vincent, Del Shannon, Dion & the Belmonts and many, many more.

In 1964 they found themselves at the same venue (still unknown to each other) to see “the Beatles”
Suddenly the whole music scene exploded with not only The Beatles and all the other Liverpool bands but the Rolling Stones, the Who, the Kinks, and the Move.

The Americans provided both Tamla and Stax together with Dylan, the Beach boys, the Doors, Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin and countless others.It was love and peace, Kaftans and beads, a psychedelic hedonism that took over the world during those hazy days.

Ray, at this time played with several bands namely “The Avengers” “Tyburn ashes” and “Society” Dave (whilst still at school) joined “The KingBees” and, later on “Mark Barry”.
Stuart was a founder member of “That Group” later to become “Chocolate Oliver” and George was a part of “The GeeBees”

Their paths eventually crossed around 1966 although they didn’t become a band until 1968.
“Greenfield Hammer” was formed and, playing everything from Beatles to Dylan, Stones to Moody Blues they gigged from Southend to Nottingham and all points in between.
It was in December 1969 that their agent invited them to an audition for a couple of song writers called Tony Macaulay and Barry Mason. It was being held at a pub in London.
After much deliberation and sleight of hand (they were all doing “Proper jobs” as well as gigging) they found themselves auditioning for Tony Macaulay and Barry Mason on a Wednesday afternoon in a Pub in the Tottenham Court Road. London.
The rest, as they say……………………………

The ensuing whirlwind saw them team up with Tony Burrows to record “Love grows” and it hit the top of the charts in January 1970.

“Love grows” remained at No 1 for 5 weeks and stayed in the top 20 for 12 weeks. It also made the top Ten all over Europe, America and the far East.
Edison Lighthouse now: Stu and Dave are gigging regularly at music venues throughout Cornwall
Home      New Gigs      Original Band      Hey Days        History      Other Projects      Where Are They Now      Contact Us
Copyright © 2006 Edison Lighthouse All rights reserved.